Sunday, January 9, 2011

Ruffle Scarf Tutorial


I was given this lavender shawl as a present last year, but was never able to wear it. It was really long and wide, so it never fit like my other scarfs. I always loved the color and the soft light fabric. So, when I saw a Summer scarf tutorial on MADE, I thought my shawl would be perfect. The fabric she used was much lighter so it ruffled a bit more, but I'm really happy with mine.



The original measurements of my shawl was 26" wide and 71" long. First I folded it in half longways, and cut. Now I have two pieces measuring 14" wide. It looks a little more like a scarf now. Next, I folded and ironed the cut edge. I pinned and hemmed, so it wouldn't fray. The photo above is only folded once. I folded it over again before sewing. This was a nap time project, and was sidetracked when one of my kids woke up, so I never took another photo. Sorry!


The elastic bobbin thread was new for me, but it was fun to try something different. I found mine at JoAnn's with all the other thread. It was only $1.50 for 10yds. You will have to load your bobbin by hand, just remember to roll it on loosely. My machine is a Singer, so I didn't have to change any of my normal setting to make the ruffle effect. My machine uses a bobbin case, but I have heard that you have to change your tension, if your are using a machine with a drop in bobbin. I'm not sure why, I have just seen that on different sewing forums. You may just want to practice on spare fabric first, and make the needed changes. You will use coordinating thread on the top of your machine, and load your bobbin in your machine like you would normally.



Now the fun part starts. You will sew your first line down the middle. You should start to see it ruffle immediately. Don't forget to back stitch at the beginning and end, or else the elastic thread will not hold. I decided to do two lines down the middle to make it have more of a ruffle.


If you have any questions, just leave me a comment. I will try to help. Thanks for stopping by my blog.

I will be linking here this week.



3 comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails