Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Simple Ruffle Chair Cushion Tutorial


This was a project that I have been wanting to do for a while, and for some reason it always got put aside for something else. A few days ago I was looking through updates from blogs that I follow, and was so excited to see an update from Disney of Ruffles and Stuff. She was one of the first blogs that I found when I was sucked in by the blog world. I had started sewing a little, but found so much inspiration on her blog. It is now an obsession of mine. It's so much fun to see what I can create from something I already own, or a yard of fabric. Her return was only for one post, but I will hold out hope for more, and will always go to her blog for inspiration. After reading her post I knew I wanted to add ruffles to my chair cushion. I think everything is better with ruffles.



You will need two pieces of fabric. You will need to measure the chair you will be using. Mine chair was 12x12. When cutting my two pieces of fabric I added an 1".




To make my ruffles I cut three pieces of fabric 2" wide and 20" long. Fold them in half long ways and iron. Turn your tension on your sewing machine down to 0. Sew the fabric strips closed with a straight stitch. By pulling the bottom thread (bobbin thread) your fabric will ruffle. You may have to do this on both ends to get the ruffle the way you want it.




I cut four 11" pieces of ribbon, for ties on my cushion. I then pinned my ruffles to both sides and the front of one piece of my face up fabric, also pinning the ribbon on the back. I placed the second piece of fabric face down on the other piece of fabric. Your cushion should be all closed in like pictured above.




Next you will sew both sides and what will be the front of your cushion. As show in the picture above I sewed some of the back closed leaving and opening for you to fill the cushion.



You can buy stuffing for pillows at your local craft store. I used the stuffing out of a standard pillow that has been in my linen closet for a while. When your happy with the fullness, pin it and top stitch it closed. You will have to do that step by hand. I hate hand sewing to, but it's just a little bit.




Now your cushion is complete. I can sit and sew a little more comfortable.







Make it Yours @ My Backyard Eden


3 comments:

  1. Visiting you back! Happy Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice Tutorial. Following you via Welcome Wednesday. Hope you will follow me too @ http://masalabowl.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute! I am a beginning seamstress and my biggest project so far has been making VERY simple pillows for my boys' playroom. I need to try to make some ruffles next time. The only thing is I am the only female in the house, so I don't have many people to make ruffles for LOL. thanks for stopping by my blog, I am following you back now and I love your blog it is super cute!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails