Monday, June 14, 2010

Pillow Case Dress Tutorial


I have to be honest I did not use a pillow case for this dress. I used fabric that I bought specifically for this project. You are welcome to use a pillow case if that's what you have.

Supplies:

Pillow Case or Fabric
Bias tape (you can also use your selvage)
Ribbon 1 1/2 yards
Safety pins
Scissors
Measuring tape

The Dress size that I am making is 18 months, but if you are needing smaller or larger measurements. Below are the standard dress lengths for little girls.

6-9 months: 14inches
12 months: 15.5inches
18 months: 17.5inches
2T: 19.5inches
3T: 21inches
4T: 22inches
5/6: 24inches
7/8: 26inches



When you are cutting your fabric or pillow case add a couple of inches to your desired length, to allow for the casing fold and hem. For arm holes cut a J edge. I cut 4 inches in width and 4 inches high. If you are using fabric and not a pillow case, now would be the time to sew the side edges together.




I used the selvage from my fabric to make bias, but you can do whatever is easiest for you. For 2 1/2 inch bias tape, you need to cut 2 1/2 inch strips. Mine were about 18 inches long. Cut two strips. I iron both raw edges to the center, then fold and iron in half.



Now pin the bias tape to the arm edges, and sew it along the edges.



Now if is time to make the casing for the ribbon. I folded my fabric over about 1 inch. Sew as close to the edge as possible, to allow room for you to feed your ribbon through.



Now your dress should look like this. To add a little flair I added a pocket. This is optional.



I'm sure there are many ways to make a pocket, and feel free to make it the way you like. This is just how I decided to do mine. I cut two U shapes out of my fabric. Both 6 1/2 inches wide and 7 inches long. I turned them pattern to pattern and sewed along the edges, leaving a small hole to turn them right side out. I cut a piece of ribbon the width of the pocket. I wanted the ruffle effect so I changed the tension to my sewing machine down to 0, then sewed the ribbon on. You pull the excess bobbin thread (bottom thread) on both sides to ruffle. You then put the pocket where you like on the dress and sew on leaving the top open, for a little added flair.



Thanks so much for checking out my tutorial. If you have any questions leave them in my comments and I will answer them to the best of my ability.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails