Monday, April 11, 2011

You know you're a mom when...

I thought I would take moment away from my normal sewing or craft projects to tell you about something I read the other day. The unthinkable happened a couple days ago, my Kindle battery died. :( I have had it since January and this is the first time I have had to charge it. I can't believe how long the battery life is. I was then forced to do something crazy and pick up an actual book. It felt so wrong, like I was cheating on my Kindle. :)

The book I picked was one that was given to me when I was pregnant called Life Lessons for  Busy Moms. It's kind of like a Chicken Soup book. I chose it because it seemed like an easy read to take outside while this kids played. I remember scanning through it while I was pregnant and didn't really relate to much. It's funny how life changes after becoming a mom. Something that stuck out to me was a list titled You know you're a mom when...

1. You plan your day according to when Sesame Street is on.
2. You have signed a check with a crayon.
3. You find Goldfish crackers in the glove box of your car.
4. You wipe other kids noses.
5. You have accidentally brushed your teeth with Desitin.
6. You have caught spit-up with your hand.
7. You leave for a date with your hubby with a diaper bag instead of a purse.
8. You have memorized the lineup of Saturday morning cartoons.
9. You have finally paid for all of your groceries and leaving when you realize your child has lost a shoe somewhere in the store.
10. You can recite Goodnight Moon and Green Eggs and Ham by heart.
11. You let your child sit in his dirty diaper until Oprah is over.
12. You have a fifteen minute conversation about your baby with a complete stranger at the grocery store.
13. You filled up your child's baby book before her first birthday, or tooth appeared.
14. You silently curse people if they call during nap time.
15. You forgot you mother in laws first name because you now refer to her as Grandma.
16. You arrange your travel plan based on McDonald's playland locations.
17. You are just as surprised when you sleep through the night as when your child does.
18. You consider the person who invented the sippy cup a genius.
19. You see a mom from your child's playgroup and know the child's name but not hers.
20. You consider it a major triumph if you shower by noon.
21. You justify every excessive crying spell with teething.
22. You pick up the phone and call your mother when your baby rolls over for the first time.
23. You have kept your favorite babysitter a secret from other mothers in your playgroup.
24. You have your pediatrician's phone number on speed dial.
25. You own the entire Baby Einstein DVD collection.
26. You find yourself humming the Rubber Duckie song in the shower.
27. You have dressed your child in whatever is on top of the laundry pile.
28. You cry at Johnson & Johnson commercials.
29. You would trade your whole life savings for one good night sleep.
30. You see your parents in a whole new light.
31. You consider parenting to be the best job in the world.

I have to say that I don't relate to all of these, but I related to enough to not be sure if I should laugh or cry. I do relate to the last one most of all. I'm blessed to be a stay at home mom, and wouldn't trade it for the world. I will admit some days are just harder than others.

I hope everyone has a great week. Thanks for stopping by my blog.

3 comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails