Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Reverse Stencil Tutorial

I decided to try my hand at something new... art. I am no artist but I recently saw a reverse stencil on Homemade By Jill, and thought I would give it a try. The possibilities are endless with this project. At first I was going to use the bird from my Storybook Cricut cartridge, and cut it out in vinyl. Then I decided I liked the bird from Picnik better. There I go again with my love for Picnik. Since I couldn't print that with my vinyl, I did it the old fashioned way. I printed it off, cut it out, and taped it to my canvas. I know that doesn't sound very artistic, but it works.


You only need a few supplies for this project:
Canvas (Whatever size you want)
Foam brushes
Paint (you only need one if you don't mind a white background)
Mod Podge (Optional)


Since I am using to colors, I started by painting the whole canvas blue. Let it dry completely before your next step.




After your first round of paint dries. You are ready for the next step. I put the bird I used for my project above. If you are not familiar with Picnik, you can save it to your computer, and print it. I wanted the sides of my canvas to be the same as the bird, so I used painters tape all around the edges. I used painters tape to tape the bird, but the legs were a little trickier. I had to hold them down and paint over them slowly. You will get paint on your fingers, but acrylic paint comes off easily.




Next, I painted the over the bird in brown. Before it dried I peeled the bird off, and the painters tape around the edges. Now I have a cute little art piece, that was very simple to do.








1 comment:

  1. This is adorable! I love blue & brown & I love birds(well not to own) =D Lol, seriously though too stinkin' cute!

    ~Iffy~
    www.stayathomenation.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails